Wednesday, May 28, 2008

On the guilt trip...

I've been guilted into posting... thanks, Drena :)

That was a shocker to see 11 comments today and motivated me to post something b/c I felt so loved! Granted, three of those were my own replies, but who's counting?

How is everyone? I must brag on myself and say that I did a 5K on Monday and placed 9th in my age group (out of 30). Yay me! It was a ball smoker too, man! 9th isn't super great, but it's the top half, and excited me.

I'm officially in mourning tomorrow... Jackson has his last day of "school". He goes to the Goddard School here twice a week so I can get a break, and he can get a break. I use those days to deep clean the house, run errands, get my hair done, take a nap... it all ends tomorrow. Granted, we only have a little over a month here, but I am going to miss those breaks! Good thing is that next week I won't notice b/c we'll be on vacation with Jennifer... we're heading to Williamsburg/Jamestown. Dorks, I know.

Well, I'm hosting book club tomorrow evening for the last time, and I didn't read the book AGAIN! I don't care... I like having the company and wine at the house. It gets lonely for me at night, and I'm always up for "hosting" in the evenings for that one reason.

Okay... so I'm really torn b/w watching "So You Think You Can Dance", and "The Price is Right". I keep switching back and forth. I LOVE dance, so I'm really into that show. I don't really care for the audition phase though b/c it's just sad to me when they show the guys that are just terrible and tear them down. I've watched "The Price is Right" since a kid on summer break. I do like Drew as the host... he's pretty hilarious at times. I actually saw him on my tour in Iraq back in 2003. He didn't impress me then, but I'm sure he was hot, tired, and jet lagged. He's much more impressive on TV. I also met MiMi, and she was a rather homely looking woman. I like her better with the make-up.

Meghan... I have a "mom" question... Jackson is going through this phase of getting super pissed off and then banging his head on whatever while he's throwing his tantrum. He actually has a bruise forming on his forehead from constantly hitting it on the wall, floor, fridge, the gate outside... people are going to start thinking that I'm abusing my child! He's also started hitting (he's 19mo)... which I can usually control with time-out/discussion/or a pop on the hand or leg. It all depends on my patience when he does the deed... Got any suggestions?

2 comments:

m said...

Well, the forehead tantrum part is just part of the terrible two's. I wouldn't worry about the whole abuse thing though, it would be an odd place for you to hurt him (being so visible!). Also, cannot for the life of me figure out how someone would hurt someone and leave a bruise on the forehead!

With the hitting, no really sure what to do. It sounds like you have it all down - timeouts, talking too and pops. I would probably just stay very consistent and follow through on threats (i.e. no five last times, and time outs mean time out now not later, etc). Would also probably explain why wrong, but limit the "discussions". He will not understand it and is probably either doing for attention, out of frustration or just because he has found out he can. Kids do not have a whole lot of thought behind their actions. I highly doubt he is trying to hurt anyone.

Let me know what happens. That has worked for most of Caroline's bad behaviors, but she has never really hit, except with Owen lately. I do think Owen has the potential to be the hitter in a little while. He is just much more aggressive and rough.

Terri said...

Thanks, Meghan... I'll just keep doing what I'm doing... I really try to be consistent, and try to focus more on time-outs b/c it just seems strange when I pop him that I'm getting him to not hit when I'm hitting him, but those pops are pretty efficent at times. Breaks my heart when I do it b/c he immediately looks at me like I've just crushed his world, and cries "mama" and wants to be hugged... so sad. I've also started making him tell me he's sorry after every time he hits me. I wouldn't let him move from where he was today until he said he was sorry... took him about 3 min to say it, but he did. I do know that he hits only when he's frustrated and isn't getting what he wants. I wouldn't be surprised if Owen started hitting, b/c these boys are definitely more aggressive than the girls. My friends with girls aren't having too many hitting issues...

Thanks again, hot mama!